Monday, November 2, 2009

D-bags of the road: Part 3 - Suburban Edition

For those who remain in the dark, I am born and raised as a suburbanite. Just because we can't drive over 40 mph on the road, doesn't mean we can't have our own terrible drivers. I am prejudiced against no one!

"The Pittsburgh Left" taker
"The Pittsburgh Left" simply refers to taking a left turn at an intersection before oncoming traffic can go straight. It happens to be a pretty common occurrence in Pittsburgh, and sometimes expected at certain intersections. For example, it's often in Pittsburgh to have a left-turn/straight lane and a right-turn only lane. We all agree this is stupid, right? Yes. And that's why people behind the left-turning car are in favor of that car taking a Pittsburgh left. Of course, if you get into an accident because you decide to turn left and the car going straight doesn't know of this "courtesy," then you can't use it as an excuse that you had the right of way. Similarly, in normal parts of the country, you probably don't want to do this because you will be faced with lots of horns in your right ear.

People who honk at people already walking in crosswalks
I'm still not over this one, and it's been a few months. WTF, DUDE. I'M ALREADY WALKING BRISKLY ACROSS THE CROSSWALK. NEXT TIME YOU HONK AT ME I'M GOING TO STOP, THROW MY HALF-EATEN APPLE AT YOUR WINDSHIELD, AND KICK IN YOUR FENDER. Seriously, go ahead and be the douche that doesn't let the mother with a stroller cross the road, but don't honk at the people already in the road that would have otherwise had enough traffic had you not been speeding down a residential road. mkthx.

The guy who runs at night wearing black
Ohhhh!! A trickster, I am! This guy isn't a driver, but rather a pedestrian! See, I told you I discriminate for no one! This is coming from someone that tries to run on a semi-regular basis when she's not recovering from her 384th sprained ankle: don't run at night unless you're wearing bright colors or better yet, a reflective vest. For those who are wondering: Yes, I did hit a pedestrian. Yes, I did actually see him running on the opposite side, and thought he turned before I made my own turn. Yes, it was because I was thinking how ironic it was that the cop at the stop light had his left light out. No, I did not injure him, because I could probably push him harder than I hit him (I think our Women's Flag Football team can attest to that). But I like to deflect blame. His fault! All his!

The Jerk who decides to be pro-active and cross into a left hand turn lane from a T-intersection blocking off the straight lane of a main road right before a set of railroad tracks.
Sorry about the long title. It's pretty self-explanatory, but the wording is a little difficult to wrap an image around. For your enjoyment:



I just realized, this isn't much of a "Suburban Edition" and more of a "Pittsburgh Edition" but that's okay. Over and out.

3 comments:

  1. Dear confessions,

    What you call a "pittsburgh left" is actually a common and necessary occurance in Massachusetts! There you get honked at for not making the left!

    Otherwise v. funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the key difference between a pittsburgh left and a masshole left: in pittsburgh, oncoming traffic LETS you do it. In Massachusetts we "bang a left" even though traffic is already coming. It is common for more than one car to do this causing the "bang an elephant left" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both of you
    however...

    the thing is though that people in MA going straight also expect the others to turn left before they go... what it really comes down to is a well executed game of chicken :)

    ReplyDelete