Sunday, November 8, 2009

I'm a jerk, part 2

So today, I was driving home from church, which is usually done on two major local roads with speed limits that vary from 35 to 40 mph. There are two things I notice while driving on these roads:

1) I have a love/hate relationship with lights with two lanes of traffic that have no specific traffic designation. Usually, I try to be nice and stay in the left lane so that people can turn right unless I see someone with a left blinky light. What also usually happens is that people get into the right lane and then merge into traffic when the road turns back into a 1-lane road, beating out everyone that used to be in front of them. Today, I saw a left blinky light immediately in front of me but not at the front of the lane so I also joined the right lane. I felt like a jerk for passing all the people that got to the light before me because they obviously could not see the reason I decided to join the right lane to pass them.

2) You really can't drive too slow on a single lane road, even if it's a local road. Somewhere further along this road, I encountered a rather abrupt slow-down of traffic (abrupt meaning traveling speed moved from 36 mph to 27 mph). I identified the responsible car to be two cars in front of me with out-of-state-but-close-enough plates. I wasn't in a hurry so it wasn't SO excruciating, but that didn't keep me from accelerating down a large hill behind the car as the car in front of me went into a left-turn lane. I guess I spooked the poor fellow, because next thing I know, he pulled over to the side of the road and let me and the next car pass. I'm a jerk.

And then I felt better when I got to the next red light and I still saw him and a line of cars behind him a good distance off in my rearview mirror. Yep. A jerk, but now justified.

No comments:

Post a Comment